This tiny village nestles in the depths of the mainly agricultural countryside, in the south-east of the rural county of Norfolk (UK). It is mentioned in the Domesday book as “Sithinga” and currently has a scattered population of around 300 living within the parish.
In our fast changing world this village still contains a shop and post office, a school and a church (which appears in the background to this page).
It is within the South Norfolk District Council administrative area.
There were still two shops in the village until 2007. There is the combined Post Office and General Stores. You will find a smile and welcome here from Keith Turner, often with the latest in village gossip, along with most of the general foodstuffs and much, much, more, plus stamps, greetings cards and pensions. The other commercial premises was the butchers shop, pwned and run by Roger Balls, who has now retired.
There was a car repair body shop situated on Wheelers Lane, which is now closed, while a number of other people operate small businesses, partly from home, in the parish.
On the south edge of the village is a rural industrial estate on the old airfield and includes firms such as “Fender Care” (marine fenders), David Yarham (vehicle salvage and car parts re-cycling), “Agritec” (chemical fertiliser plant) while the owner of “Flagstones” has recently retired.
This round-towered church is built mainly of flint and has a thatched roof and three bells dated 1634, 1638 and 1721. The tower is early Norman in date. There are floor levels dating from the fourteenth century, a seven sacrament font dated 1485 and a fifteenth century rood screen. The current vicar is the Rev. Peter Halls who lives in nearby Brooke and covers the five parishes of Brooke, Kirstead, Mundham, Seething and Thwaite.
Parts of the churchyard are designated as “wildlife conservation areas” because an impressive number of native wildflower species grow there in this largely unsprayed and unfertilised area. Seething is ranked amongst the top five best churchyards in the county of Norfolk in terms of species diversity. The picture shows the uncommon Pyramidal Orchid in flower on the south side of the church.
The churchyard conservation scheme is run by The Norfolk Wildlife Trust. The church tower was covered in scaffolding and mesh for several weeks in June 1999 while a local builder repaired the tower and re-pointed the flints.
To mark the millennium year the parish council have erected a village sign and a “Seething millennium mug” was issued to children. These pictures record the official unveiling of the sign at midday on December 31st 2000.
The idea of village signs originally started in Norfolk when the first U.K. sign was erected at Sandringham. There are now hundreds of signs the length and breadth of Britain, all proclaiming the pride felt for the village and usually attempting some kind of historical interpretation of the history of that village in the design of the sign.
Although a village sign was suggested at least 20 years ago, Seething now, at last, has got one, situated on the corner of School Lane, within sight of the parish church.
At pictures you can see County Councilor, Adrian Gunson waits for the ceremony to get underway with a watery winter sun trying to shine in the background on this the last day of December 2001.
On the right we see Colin and Beryl Carver to the right of the sign, who have kindly donated the sign to the village, Jimmy LeCoq, chairman of the parish council stands on the left of the sign with Elizabeth Tozer, who designed the sign.
Speeches over, and everyone thanked for their help, Adrian Gunson pulls the rope and reveals the sign to the residents and wins general approval. The view on the right is how most people will see the roadside sign as they approach from the Brooke direction.
Just over 100 parishioners turned out for the ceremony (about a third of the population), with a further twenty or so people from neighbouring parishes and several dignitaries.
And finally the Millenium mugs which were distributed to all under 10 year-olds in the parish at the School after the sign had been unveiled. Other residents who had ordered a mug when the idea was first floated had their delivered during the previous few days.
Whether or not these mugs will turn up on the “Antiques Roadshow” in years to come, as collectable items remains to be seen!